Explaining my graduation project 1.1: diagram, Architectural program

The graduation project in the fall semester of 2017 in the bachelor program in architecture (on Istanbul Technical University) was titled "Collective living for the elderly". Aimed were new design solutions for elderly friendly accommodations paired with health service and opportunities for social and personal interactions.

The Architectural program included
-green spaces: gardening spaces and open air areas for physical activities
-administration: Directors offices, assistants, office kitchen, meeting room, security etc.
-Common spaces: A social center with a cafeteria, cinema and TV hall, library and a wellness center
-Health services: for the elderly inhabitants with rooms for nurses and doctors.
-Living areas organized in 3 parts
=> Fully independent living units for 60
=> Partially supported living units for 20
=> Assisted living units for 20 persons
-Service spaces and technical rooms

But to not bore you longer I just want to explain how I set the relations between different activities and spaces to create my very own architectural program and smoothen the part for the space distribution and to estimate what I want to concentrate about in my project.


As you see in the diagram above I firstly thought of activities preformed in the building I want to create. Activities such as socializing, learning new thing, free time leisure. As you may have noticed that are very general terms so I had to go into more detail and therefore the next step was to evaluate sub activities like familiar socializing, meeting new people and visitation or watch a movie, eat, drink, read, walking in open air and gardening. After detailing these activities I could start do thing about spaces need for these activities like common rooms for familiar socializing, social center to meet new people and a visitation center for the visiting family members. I think you got the concept and you can look at the graphic to see all activities, subactivities and spaces needed. Until now this is a pretty straight forward, (and I want to call it) logical progress of evaluating needed spaces.

Afterwards I grouped the different spaces according to their characteristics. Like green spaces, private spaces, social spaces, common spaces and administrative spaces. This was important to be able to get to the last step where I started to think about the needed connections between these spaces. And by doing that slowly slowly the general schema of the building was taking shape. And it helped me to get the feeling on which spaces need to bee primarily connected and which spaces have a more lose connection or some of the spaces also needed no connection between each other at all.

Also by thinking about these general distributions I could decide better on the points that were important for me in the project which are seen highlighted in reed in the graphic. As you can read from the graphic green areas with outside walking paths, learning new things, familiar socializing and group socializing. But about these design elements and how I developed them and integrated them into my project or better formulated how I developed my project around these design elements I am going to talk about in my next text about my graduation project.

No comments:

Post a Comment