6 reasons why Anno 2070 (or a the idea of an Anno developed around a scenario set in the future) is no "real" Anno.

-I remember the first thing I always did when playing a new Anno was to take the starting ship, direct it to the nearest enemy ship and look at the cannons firing, ships burning, mast cracking, wood splitting and in the and ships sinking. When I started Anno 2070 I moved on to do the same but I hesitated because this modern ship with its modern weapons had as much as zero charm to me. And I feared that the naval battle was going to be even worse. And it was like I feared. The naval battles in the new future world of Anno are no fun at all. I have to admit, that was a heavy blow for me.


-The success of the Anno series (among other things) thrives from its variety of products, production chains, resource management and the ability of optimization of the whole economy. But in Anno 2070 the new products and production chains do not have any appeal. While writing this I tried to remember some of the resources but I could not remember any of the new resources. A situation mainly due to the fact that all the appeal is lost and the new products had no logical base. I mean these strange energy drinks one of the classes needed or the strange and huge dam you had to build just for noodles. I mean come one no Anno in the world should have noodles as one of its products. 

-The new object system where you could either buy stuff from the "Kontor" or let it be developed by your scientists to be prepared against an oil catastrophe or to upgrade your useless futuristic guns on your ships was just not necessary. As it was hard to understand and get to know which ones of these many objects is useful and did not give the game new depths or an enjoyable new component.

-The new credit (money) system was strange, not presented well and a step into the wrong direction. As in the former Anno' s the budget and money issues were always presented in a more understandable form.

-Coppered to the character depths of the computer players in anno 1701 the characters in anno 2070 were laughable. As they had no back story or anything like it, were shallow and were replaceable by each other.

-The main scenario idea with the world topography chancing because of rising sea levels and the development of different "world companies" is good. But due to  a bad campaign, it runs it course very fast and gets boring and to much flat out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment