Explaining my graduation project 3.2: 1/100 plan, detail design, courtyards, design development

In the last 3 parts I often talked about the 2 courtyards and the 2 towers evolving around this courtyards but I never got much into the details. This is going to change in this part as I want to show you my detailed design of the courtyards and what influenced my design. Therefore I am going to show you the detailed plans of the courtyards and what space were planned to be around them.

For these thoughts it was important to choose spaces with need of natural light and fresh air so i could arrange them around the courtyards. And most of these decisions I am going to talk about originate in the first diagram I made and which I explained to you (the diagram about activities, spaces and connection between spaces) in the first part of the series. The final decision was twofold.

Firstly I decided to arrange the wellness center and sport facilities around the smaller courtyard. This had defined benefits like:
-The ability to make sport in the open air and then use the wellness center facilities.
-I decided to evolve the assisted living units around the smaller courtyard as they would take less space and combine better with the smaller courtyard and the assisted living units had secondary relations to the wellness and health center.

The second decision was to organize the (other) living units around the tower evolving around the second and bigger courtyard. In the second part of the series I talked about the general term of socializing and how i wanted 3 social zones in my project. These different social spaces are categorized in social spaces, community spaces and privet spaces. As the courtyard was the central spot of the private spaces and living units the base of the courtyard could be used as a connection between social and private spaces perfectly. Therefore I decided to arrange the community spaces around the bigger courtyard as the connection between social spaces and private spaces.

The main space arranged around the second courtyard is the library as it is again a space where the use of natural light is preferred. But also the private entrance to the living units and some administrative spaces are planed here because of the near distance to the living units.

Now the bases of the courtyards and their immediate soundings spaces are explained. In the next part we are going to talk about the living units in the two towers and how they are arranged around the courtyards free space.

No comments:

Post a Comment