War Cube

Its not easy being a cube and being a war cube is even worse, but you know what is the worst of all, that you are sent back to an old kingdom, Your Old Kingdom! By mister I am so funny narrator and everybody knows you and that you were the king. But given the fact that in this kingdom everyone is a cube and the fighting makes great fun and the fact that you are kind of a king, even if your mighty kingdom is run down by barbaric red cubes, it is not that bad.

That is kind of how the game of war cube starts, a small little combat game full of humor and all kind of medieval stuff. As already stated the game has good humor but I see the danger of this element becoming too powerful. In this state of the game the humor is hold back to an agreeable amount but if the game is going to define itself just through its humor, I may have to give it a bad review in the future.

The surrounding and different levels of the game are drawn beautifully in a now getting so popular low poly graphical style. The world (in this stage of the game) is rather small but given the fact that it is still in early accesses it is in place to hope that the scale of the game is getting bigger and bigger. Because now the game is finished in about 2 hours. Are this 2 hours fun? Yes they are but they leave the player with the slightly uncomfortable feeling of "I want more!" and "already finished?"

In the whole game there is no single indication of which weapon is the best and if the newly found armor is better than the other. A situation which let me to always fight with the same weapons what is not that bad (in this stage of the game) as the variety of armor and different weapons is almost equal to zero. Moreover I think a looting system where you can get some stuff out of the enemies you kill can help the game. I know it is not a revolutionary idea to make a looting system but I desperately want this game to be developed and to give the player more to do inside of the game because just exploring and good humor is not enough. Therefore I would also love to see a good development in the tactical view as I think the rather monotone getting combat system would match very well with a bit of strategic warfare with the tactical view. And moreover it would be interesting to see what bigger battles with warcubes would look like. As I said I think that is a huge area of development that would give the game great dimension. Because what the game does till now is creating a good framework. Now its time to get depth into the game and the different game assets.

I talked about a general framework of the game being created but this framework is also useful for something else, because this simple framework gives the player something to built his own imagination and own stories around. These aspect of the game principle is the same as in Mount and Blade as the player can add to the game experience by his own imagination. For example when I hid in the bush and sneaked up to an enemy I was like "Whoa! That's a great experience I fell like I should have felt when I played Assassins Creed 3". No that is a bit over the top but I found it interesting that this simple game could generate the same feeling of excitement and anticipation as a huge game like AC 3.

In general the now existing early access game is rather small but is already playable and gives adequate game fun and I am especially excited how much potential this game has. So with more time put into development this game can become a real winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment